Is InIt for me?
YW Boston’s Youth Leadership Initiative (InIt) is a nine-month program that provides social justice education and leadership skills training for high school students in the Greater Boston Area.
- Have open and honest conversations about your personal identity (race, gender, class, etc.) and social justice issues like racism, feminism, LGBT rights, immigration, and the criminal justice system
- Develop leadership skills like how to bring people together and communicate powerfully
- Make friends with other high school students who care about social issues and want to take action
- Build your resume for college and work
- Make real change in your school and community!
What happens in the program?
InIt is made up of groups of students, called delegations, from high schools and organizations across the Greater Boston area. There are three to four students in each delegation. Each class is diverse in terms of race, gender, class, sexual orientation, neighborhood, school, and many other identities. You will get the chance to build community with and learn from people of different backgrounds and life experiences.
- Immersion Weekend: A weekend overnight retreat in September to explore how identity impacts your life, and the lives of those in your community, through open conversation on social justice issues.
- Program Days: Interactive workshops and community learning to develop your leadership skills and deepen your understanding of social justice issues. Topics include: immigration, education, criminal justice, housing equity, and leadership development. Program Days happen one Saturday a month from October to April.
- Community Action Project: Together with the other students in your delegation and with coaching and support from InIt staff, you will design and create a project to improve your community. Past examples have included starting social justice clubs, creating art projects, facilitating workshops with peers and faculty, designing new classroom curriculum, and advocating for school policy changes.
What are the fees?
The fees for InIt participation vary based on your family’s income. There are also scholarships and fee waivers available. More information can be found on the application. Contact Hannah, InIt Assistant Manager with any questions.
How do I apply?
While we are no longer accepting applications for the 2018-2019 program year, please contact Hannah (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested in being “InIt” in the future!