Public Policy and Advocacy Manager
YW Boston works to eliminate racism, empower women and promote peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all.
YW Boston is at the vanguard of thought leadership on issues at the intersection of race and gender, helping organizations create more inclusive environments where women, people of color, and in particular, women of color can succeed.
YW Boston is undergoing significant organizational change. We have recently updated our strategic plan to leverage our greatest strengths and are investing in our internal culture, including our own racial equity practices. We seek candidates that thrive in adaptive organizations, are comfortable working amidst organizational change, and are excited about helping YW Boston deepen its impact in Boston.
General Statement of Duties
The Public Policy and Advocacy Manager will provide overall leadership in the strategy and execution of a policy advocacy agenda for the organization. This person will work closely with all staff, program partners, policy makers, volunteers and advocates to support high quality direct service programming and advance strategic advocacy campaigns to promote racial and gender equity in Boston.
The Manager will analyze and respond to relevant policy issues and coalition requests. In addition to managing YW Boston’s Advocacy Committee, this individual will develop strong relationships with key stakeholders, such as local activist leaders, the YWCA Massachusetts Alliance, professional groups, lobbyists, legislators and their staffs to support key initiatives and strategies to advance policy priorities for effective impact. This position provides a unique opportunity to work with a dynamic organization and team to build a better Boston.
This position reports to the Chief Executive Officer on an interim basis.
The successful Public Policy & Advocacy Manager will achieve the following outcomes:
- Monitor legislation and policy developments related to YW strategic vision
- Provide leadership and active participation in community coalitions to broaden support; identify, recruit and engage organizers to promote YW Boston
- Provide leadership and direction to the Advocacy Committee to meet the goals of the committee charter
- Identify and use best practices and centrally developed materials to communicate with organizers on local and state policy and advocacy progress and engagement.
- Develops policy priorities and yearly goals for the organization’s Advocacy Committee
- Plans and facilitates monthly Advocacy Committee meetings
- Supervises Advocacy intern(s) to provide operations support for the Advocacy Committee, create advocacy materials, plan events, conduct research and coordinate external meetings
- Monitors state and local level policies and understands city and state legislative processes
- Builds relationships with public officials and a variety of stakeholders including grassroots groups, advocates and researchers
- Identify, develop and maintain strong relationships with key decision makers that produce legislative champions on behalf of YW Boston
- Representing YW on coalitions
- Researches and prepares policy fact sheets, issue briefs, and blog posts
- Provide leadership and active participation in community coalitions to broaden support; identify, recruit and engage activists to promote the goals and objectives of our strategic plan
- Briefs YW staff consistently on policy positions and actions of the Advocacy Committee
- Assists with budget preparation and monitoring for all advocacy-related activities and ensure appropriate tracking of expenses
- Plans and facilitates YWCA MA Alliance activities
- Supports and coordinates state funding
- High school diploma/GED and five years of work experience required; Bachelor’s degree preferred, ideally in field related to racial/gender equity or public policy
- Strong ability to collaborate with colleagues and manage initiatives across all levels of the organization to achieve goals
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and provide fantastic customer service ethic and follow through
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, be self-directed and take feedback well
- Superior organizational, written, and verbal communications skills
- Demonstrated project management experience
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point
- Demonstrated ability to successfully work in a goal-oriented team environment with economic, racial, ethnic and gender diversity
- Enthusiasm and positive sense of humor
- Demonstrated commitment to racial, gender and social justice and excitement for YW Boston’s work
- Ability to travel locally required
- Ability to work some early morning, evening and weekend hours a must
Additional Organization Responsibilities
- Adhere to agency policies and practices for maintaining organizational culture and transparency, including use of regularly scheduled progress meetings with relevant parties, scheduling, e-mail and other communications platforms
- Positively represent the Agency in all interactions with the public
- Support YW Boston fund development through participation in education, outreach, cultivation and stewardship efforts
- Participate in Agency events and perform additional tasks assigned by the President & CEO
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position. Annual salary range is $50,000 to $65,000. YW Boston offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package including annual paid leave, health insurance, 403b option, and a flexible work environment.
How to apply
YW Boston is an equal opportunity employer. Diverse candidates strongly encouraged to apply. Send a cover letter and a resume to email@example.com. Please place the subject title “Policy & Advocacy Manager” in the headline of your email. No recruiters and no phone calls, please.