April: Exploring Boston’s Neighborhoods
Date: April 13, 2022
Time: 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Location: Roxbury Community College, Building 3, Student Common Rooms 3&4 (see reminder email or YW Boston Connect event page for meeting details)
Travel Information: MBTA via Roxbury Crossing encouraged. Parking available in lots 1&2 in any spot not reserved.
Click here for a map of the Roxbury Community College campus to locate the correct building and parking lots.
Our objectives are to
- Become oriented to the city of Boston
- Research the strengths and needs of neighborhoods
- Begin getting to know classmates
- 8:45 am Continental breakfast available
- 9:00 am Welcome & opening remarks
- 9:30 am Changing Faces of Boston – Past, Present, & Future
Expert Speaker: Anne Calef, Boston Indicators
- 10:30am Neighborhood small group visits. Lunch with your group in your neighborhood.
- 2:30 pm Group report-back & dialogue
- 4:00 pm April Leadership Commitment Prep Group Presentation
- 4:45 pm Evaluations & Closing Remarks
Complete the following readings before our program day:
- Boston’s Booming…But for Whom?
- For Blacks in Boston, A Power Outage
- Boston is the third most “intensely gentrified” city in the United States, study says
- Preview our presenter’s report, Changing Faces of Greater Boston
- Data Gathering: Where in Boston do your colleagues live?
Additional (optional) recommended: