YW Boston is dedicated to eliminating racism, empowering women, and promoting peace, justice, freedom, and dignity for all.
YW Boston is proud to share a mission statement with YWCA USA and all other YWCA affiliates nationwide.
We shape the future by committing to eliminate race, gender, and class inequities, which are relevant and prevalent. As leaders we take risks and adapt, sparking change in ourselves and others.
We know that when people of different experiences, identities, and backgrounds come together the best outcomes are achieved for all.
We use evidence-based practices, outcomes measurement, and evaluation to bring effective programs to Boston. We value learning as a process and are adaptive and responsible in our approach.
We stay connected to issues of equity, and transform creative ideas into effective solutions that respond to community needs.
We communicate openly with participants, staff, volunteers, donors, and other stakeholders. We articulate our expectations of others and encourage others to do the same.
We engage individuals and organizations to work together across real and perceived differences. We work with external partners to create the best solutions, sharing both efforts and successes.
We act with integrity, respect, and good humor.
We take ownership of our mission and are responsible for providing excellent customer service and high quality programs.
We will incrementally reduce systemic racial and gender disparities and improve social cohesion in Boston neighborhoods where health, educational and safety inequities are most significant. Working across racial, religious, gender and economic divides, we will:
- Continually identify and measure disparities and/or social cohesion gaps in public health education and safety in Boston neighborhoods
- Change individual thinking, behaviors and actions
- Increase access to and use of public services
- Improve institutional activities, practices and policies that perpetuate disparities that affect Boston’s most vulnerable populations
- Develop partnerships with key individual and at crucial leverage points to affect institutional and systemic change